We hope that everyone is staying safe during the challenging Covid-19 pandemic. We have received a few requests from Mazak customers asking how to sanitize their CNC machine controls safely and effectively. Mazak & Mitsubishi have provided an update on disinfecting operational panels and displays. These procedures are temporary during the Covid-19 pandemic. Please refer to your maintenance manuals for normal cleaning recommendations to use after the pandemic.
In response to the increased need to clean surfaces in contact with humans during the COVID-19 outbreak, the following guidelines have been provided for disinfecting Mitsubishi operation panels and LCD screens. The methods and materials that should be used are outlined below.
These guidelines are meant specifically for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. In the future, revert back to your maintenance manual for regular cleaning practices.
- Isopropyl Alcohol wipes (or other wipes designated for electronics)
- Microfiber cloth or soft towel
- 70% isopropyl alcohol
X Do not use bleach
I. Operation Panel and LCD (non-touch)
- Disinfecting wipes are best used to clean screens and operation panels. Search for wipes specifically targeted for Electronics.
- Power down the control before cleaning. Do not power back up until the panel has dried.
- If wipes appear to be dripping, wring out the wipe so that excess liquid is removed.
- If wipes are unavailable, 70% isopropyl alcohol applied to a microfiber cloth or towel can be used to wipe down the panel.
- Test use on a small area to confirm the cleaner does not eat away plastic or paint, then continue on rest of the panel.
- Be sure the cloth is not dripping, if necessary, wring out the cloth before wiping down control panel.
B. Avoid the following
- Avoid using spray bottles directly to apply disinfectant, excess liquid may drip into keys or cracks and cause electronic damage. If necessary, use spray to dampen a cloth and use cloth to wipe.
- Avoid using solvents or thinners to clean the operation panels. Use only disinfecting wipes meant for plastic/electronics or 70% rubbing alcohol on microfiber cloth or paper towel.
- Avoid scrubbing the panel. Cloth should be lightly wiped across keys/lcd once or twice, otherwise there is risk of damaging paint or labels.
- Do not dis-assemble the panel to attempt to clean the inside.
II. M7/M8 Touch Panels
A. Follow the same guidelines as you would a touchscreen phone
- Disinfecting wipes that are specifically marked for use on Electronics
- Microfiber cloth is recommended, be sure cloth is free of chips/dirt before using.
- Avoid using a spray bottle which may drip into the electronics
- Avoid using abrasive cleaners or solvents. Do not scrub repeatedly, lightly wipe once or twice to disinfect.